by Drew Price
WATCH AND LEARN
Take the time to observe carp behavior. Watch for a while. Become familiar with their tendencies. Carp have a lot of different behavior patterns that can help you decide which fish are worth fishing for. Here are some clues:
- Fish splashing around on the surface – indicates spawners which don’t take flies. Find some more fish to fish for. Fun to watch but really frustrating.
- Sunbathers (fish sitting quietly near the surface) – can sometimes take. Get a small unweighted fly near their face and hope for the best.
- Pods of carp moving fast – don’t bother.
- Pods of carp moving slowly – get flies in front of them. Make sure the flies are at the right depth. This applies to single carp moving slowly too.
- Carp with their heads down, tails up and mud coming up around them – the game is on! Get something on the bottom in front of them and you are in for some fun!
To continue to the full article at Hatchmag.com, click here.